I’ve got spring fever and I’ve got it bad. I’ve had enough snow, enough cold, enough frosty car windows when I leave for work in the morning – enough already! I even wore a dress last week because it was just above 40 (I’m not completely crazy, I had leggings on, too). I’m not sure 40 degrees should be considered dress weather, but it needed to happen of I might have completely lost it. Let me tell you though, I heard lots of birds chirping today, and I’m going to take that as an indication of warmer weather in my (hopefully immediate) future. Until then, here’s a treat filled with fun pastel colors and deliciousness that will help satisfy your spring cravings.
These sugar cookie bars are fabulous and would be a perfect treat to make for Easter. The recipe uses a sugar cookie mix as a base (Cheating, I know, but I made this with my two nieces, so anything to make it go a little more smoothly is nice). Let’s be honest, we all need quick and easy recipes and it IS forgiveable to use premade mixes sometimes. Don’t like store-bought? Easy solution: homemade cookie mixes and make your own bulk baking mixes (FYI I haven’t used the cookie mix recipe, but it looks promising.)
I adapted this Cran-Pistachio cookie recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything. That might seem odd, but I wanted to add pudding to make it a little softer, and I liked the additional flour and egg, anything to make them a little fuller in the pan. You could use your favorite sugar cookie recipe and press it into a pan, or use just the mix and follow the directions on the package, as well.
On a separate note, did you hear about google reader? I’m sure you did. When I first decided to use a reader, it was an easy decision to go with google reader. I already had a gmail, so NO extra work signing up or creating a profile, just one click…I call that a success. I was happy with the layout and function of it, so everything was good! When I found out it would no longer be available in a few months, I was disappointed, but still eager to check out other options. I’ve heard a lot of about Bloglovin, especially lately with the news about google reader, and decided to give it a shot. Well, I love it! My favorite aspect is that it displays an excerpt from each post (rather than the whole post), so you can quickly and easily scroll through new posts. If you will be in the market for a new reader in a few months or are just curious, I urge you to check out Bloglovin!
- 1 17.5 oz pouch Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 3.5 oz box vanilla pudding
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- sprinkles and m&ms for decorating, as much or as little as you want
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 in baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar cookie mix, pudding, and flour. Add the melted butter and eggs and mix until incorporated. A wooden spoon works very well, an electric mixer risks over-mixing. Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Place sugar cookie mix in greased pan and use a spatula to spread it out. Sprinkle with m&ms. I used both milk chocolate and peanut butter Easter m&ms.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, being careful not to overbake. Let cool completely before serving (if you can!)