Where has the summer gone? I looked at the calendar yesterday and realized all at once that we’re basically into fall territory and it’s been over two months since I last posted! So what have I been up to? It’s a good question and I’ll let you stare at these delicious Milky Way Rice Krispies Treats while I explain!
Work work work. That’s basically been my life…working overtime and spending my little bits of time off with the husband, camping, and having my nieces over when I had the chance. Oh and (squealing with excitement) working on buying a house. We will be moving in mid-October! I am beyond excited and feeling like more of a grown-up every day! Oh, and no more overtime, so I am one very happy girl! I’m very much a to-do list writer/goal-setter and my latest goal is to post weekly! Come October, with move-in and immediately beginning the update of a new-to-us-but-actually-very-old farmhouse, I really hope I can maintain that goal! I’ll be posting lots of before and after pics, too!
I can’t wait to have a kitchen of my own to cook and bake in to my heart’s content! Speaking of cooking and baking, these Milky Way Rice Krispie Treats are my new favorite. I even like them better than the Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats I made for Valentine’s day…and I so LOVED those.
Everything about these makes my mouth water. Chocolate Rice Krispies smothered in vanilla caramel marshmallow, with chunks of Milky Way candy bars and a light drizzle of caramel. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is.
I am an absolute candy fiend…I rarely buy any because it disappears so fast. I love it all, but Milky Ways…ohh, Milky Ways are my kryptonite. I bought a bag of fun size candy bars to use for this recipe, and don’t you know that half of them were gone before I could blink. Oops. It’s a good thing I didn’t need them all! I blame it on my mad, mad love for caramel. I can’t just resist it, which is why I had to give the Original Rice Krispies Treats a delicious, caramely, Milky Way twist.
I layered my 9×13 pan with buttered wax paper because I knew I wanted to remove them from the pan, cut them up and dip them in chocolate. A good buttering will suffice if you plan on serving them straight out of the pan. I wanted chunks of Milky Way in my bars, so I chilled the pieces too keep them from melting when I mixed them into the warm rice krispies-marshmallow mix. You could keep them room temperature and let them melt into the mixture if you so choose. I used this easy microwave caramel sauce recipe, but you could use salted caramel or storebought caramel sauce.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz package of vanilla caramel marshmallows
- 6 cups chocolate Rice Krispies cereal
- 3/4 cups chopped Milky Way candy bars (9 fun size bars)
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- Optional: Candy melts or chocolate for dipping
- Melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and add cereal. Mix until evenly coated.
- Fold in chopped candy bars. Drizzle mixture with half of the caramel sauce and gently mix.
- Press into a buttered 9x13 pan using wax paper or buttered hands. Drizzle with remaining caramel.
- Let cool to room temperature before slicing and removing from pan.
- Melt candy melts or chocolate by the method of your choice. Dip the bottom each piece in chocolate and then drizzle some over the top. Let chocolate harden before serving.
Keep the candy bars chilled; it makes for easier chopping and keeps them from melting when you mix them into the rice krispies.