I have a love-hate relationship with Wisconsin winters. Last week was way too cold, today it’s in the 50s, and it’s supposed to drop down and snow again tomorrow – could we get some consistency, please! I absolutely love sledding and snowball fights, but I could do with only a month of snow. And I hate driving on icy roads. Love it or hate it, it’s here and at least I get to enjoy soup! Well, I did yesterday, like I said, today it’s too nice out for soup! I made creamy potato mushroom soup and it was phenomenal. It had a great flavor and lots of mushrooms! You could make it in a slow cooker too if you’d rather.
Creamy Potato Mushroom Soup (8 servings, adapted from Potato Mushroom Soup)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 16 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in large stock pot over medium-high heat and add mushrooms and onions. Cook about 10 minutes, until onions become translucent.
- Add flour and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes.
- Top with sour cream and shredded cheese if desired and serve!
Crockpots are the greatest thing. Nothing beats coming home to a prepared meal, still warm, after a long day!
I had a bunch of produce from the farmer’s market that I wanted to use before it started to go bad, so I threw it all in a crockpot and added some tomato sauce, more or less. My husband said it was one of the best things I had ever made – quite the compliment! He had devoured most of it before I got home from working a night shift, and we packaged the rest for him to take to work for lunch. So unfortunately, there are no pictures of it after it was cooked.
Crockpot Vegetable Casserole
- 1 24 oz jar tomato sauce
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 large carrots, sliced (~2 1/2 – 3 cups)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced (~2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (~1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cup frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup frozen beans, thawed
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a blend of mild cheddar and white cheddar)
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Spray the inside of your crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the potatoes on the bottom; they can overlap (if you use a smaller crockpot, you could use half of the potatoes and add another layer of potatoes later).
- Do the same with the onions and half of the carrots.
- Pour half of sauce over the veggies and top with half of the cheese.
- Layer the broccoli, beans and the remaining carrots.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Program crockpot to cook on high for 3 1/2-4 hours.