The weather was so amazing over the past few days; it was perfect for my weekend off of work! Sunshine and warm temperatures called for a light summery dinner out in the sun. I whipped up this cucumber tomato salad and enjoyed a lovely dinner on the balcony with my husband. This is such a quick and simple recipe that you can easily adapt to fit your family’s taste! I had the Noodles & Co. cucumber tomato salad in mind when I came up with this recipe, and while it is similar in concept, it tastes quite different. As I always do, I used what I could find in my kitchen and of course I had to add feta; it makes everything better!
I like to use oil and vinegar to marinade my vegetables because I love the tartness the vegetables have after they’ve been soaking in vinegar. After marinating, I pour out the excess and toss the vegetables in an Italian vinaigrette for a great flavor boost. One of my favorites is Kraft’s Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette. You could use a vinaigrette to marinade your veggies for a milder taste or skip the viniagrette altogether and just use oil and vinegar. You could mix in anything from black or greek olives, to avocado chunks, or even quinoa.
This recipe is full of my favorite things! As I said before, I used my favorite vinaigrette, and then grape tomatoes are my favorite tomato, feta is one of my favorite cheeses, and cucumbers are my favorite vegetable. Speaking of cucumbers, have you ever tried cucumber vodka? I LOVE IT! It’s so refreshing and crisp mixed with soda water or 7-up. I’ve had it with cranberry juice too, and while I liked it, my husband did not share my opinion and we agreed it was best served as a cucumber press with half soda water – half 7-up). The colors in this salad are gorgeous too! It’s hard to beat garden fresh vegetables with a tangy vinaigrette and a salty bite of feta in my book!
- 2 medium cucumbers, roughly peeled and chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/3 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Italian vinaigrette
- Mix tomato, cucumber, and onion in a bowl or plastic bag with vinegar, oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and let marinade in refrigerator for a couple hours.
- When ready to serve, take the marinading vegetables out of the fridge. You have two options here: you can either pour out the bit of vinegar and oil that is left in the mix first, or just add the vinaigrette and feta and give it a toss.