I’ve mentioned that I very recently graduation college and have just begun the job hunt. That said, money is tight this Christmas, so most of my gifts are handmade. For my dad and grandma: candied nuts (among other homemade goodies). I made several different types of candied nuts last year and it was actually much simpler than I had anticipated. This recipe is really easy to follow and the final product is great! Actually, it’s amazing – better than any of the types I made last year! We’ve already eaten a few handfuls – might have to make another batch before Christmas!
Candied Almonds (from mybakingaddiction.com)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 pound almonds or pecans
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil
- In a large bowl, combine egg white, vanilla extract and water. Beat mixture until frothy.
- Stir in almonds and mix to coat.
- Gently combine sugar, cinnamon, and sea salt and stir into almond mixture, thoroughly coating all nuts.
- Evenly spread nuts onto prepared baking sheet and place into oven.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- When cool, pack in an airtight jar. They will keep at room temperature for about 2 weeks.