This strawberry pistachio cake is simply phenomenal. I absolutely love the simple, rustic look, with just a dusting of powdered sugar. It doesn’t just look great though, this cake tastes divine! The delicate pistachio flavor combined with fresh strawberries and crunchy pistachios will make anyone’s mouth water.
I had a package of pistachio pudding in the pantry begging to be used. I was planning on making these salted pistachio pudding cookies, but when I saw that strawberries were buy one get one, it was decided for me. I can’t resist a good sale and I didn’t want to risk the strawberries going bad. That would have been a shame, so the cookies will have to wait until next time! I started with the recipe for my delicious pistachio loaf, added strawberries and baked it in two 9-inch rounds.
Now, my pistachio loaf is really good…we’re talking REALLY good. It is always a crowd-pleaser and I often am asked for the recipe. Everyone loves it, but the fresh strawberries really brought it to the next level. I was drooling just smelling this cake bake and then I took the first bite, full of tender and moist strawberries. I was ooh-ing and ahh-ing like it was the fourth of July.
The cake rose a bit more than I had expected, so my strawberries got a little enveloped by the cake. If you plan to make this lovely cake, I recommend only gently placing the strawberries on top. You could also try baking it for ten minutes or so, quickly adding the strawberries, and continuing to bake. You could even leave the halved strawberries out completely and just sprinkle the cake with more chopped pistachios.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 3.4 oz. box instant pistachio pudding
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 7 strawberries, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 350 and butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Whisk together cake and pudding mixes. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well-blended.
- Fold in nuts and chopped strawberries.
- Pour batter into cake pans. It will be thick and you may need to spread it with a spatula. Gently place halved strawberries on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.