There are few things that are more refreshing than a tall glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade on a hot summer day. A jump in the pool or a mist with the hose are right up there, too. This blackberry lemonade is so delicious; I could drink it all day. In fact, I did drink it all day! I know it’s not quite summer yet, but the weather is amazing and enjoying a glass of lemonade in the sun absolutely made my day. Oh, and I was able to officially break out my sundress collection last week. I am a happy girl.
I squeezed all my lemons by hand, but a juicer would speed up the prep on this recipe. I ran probably half of the lemon juice through a strainer to remove some of the pulp, but left the rest. As a finishing touch, I put a handful of lemon slices and fresh blackberries in the lemonade before it chilled. I love eating the fruit out of the bottom of my glass when I’ve finished drinking it all. I think that’s my favorite part!
You can use any type of berries with this lemonade recipe, just make sure you strain the seeds out! The blackberry lemonade I made was sweet, but still slightly tart. You can always reduce the sugar if you like your lemonade a little more on the tart side. …Or you know, add sugar if you want it really sweet. I imagine it’d be great with a splash of vodka, too or frozen in an ice cube tray and blended for a lemonade slushie! You could choose not to add all of the water and seal it in a large mason jar to bring camping or on a picnic. Just add the amount of cold water you left out when you’re ready to drink it. That way you can bring it along without having to find room in the cooler for a whole pitcher!
- ~7 lemons (1 1/2 cups lemon juice)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 + 5 cups water
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 pint blackberries
- Juice the lemons. Remove seeds, strain pulp if desired.
- Heat sugar and 2 cups water to boiling and stir to dissolve all of the sugar. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least a half hour.
- Puree ~1 cup blackberries and strain seeds if desired; you will end up with about 1/3 cup blackberry puree.
- Mix lemon juice, sugar water, remaining water and blackberry puree and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve over ice.