When I was buying marshmallows for the Cake Batter Rice Krispies Treats I made last week, a bag of strawberry marshmallows caught my eye. I immediately thought of the post for strawberry shortcake rice krispies I had seen a couple weeks ago and I knew I had to put my own twist on it!
I was hoping to find dried strawberries, but the closest my go-to grocery store had was strawberry flavored dried cranberries. I thought I was settling, but they worked marvelously. The slight tartness of the dried cranberries cut the sweetness of the marshmallows in the most delicious way. The marshmallows have a mild strawberry taste, but you could add 1/2-1 tsp of strawberry extract to enhance it! Overall, these were a big success!
Strawberry Shortcake Rice Krispies Treats
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 bag of strawberry marshmallows
- 6 cupscrisped rice cereal
- 1 heaping cup of cubed angel food cake
- 1/3 cup strawberry flavored dried cranberries
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir continuously until melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the cereal and stir to evenly coat. Add the angel food cake and dried cranberries and fold until distributed throughout.
- Use buttered hands or a piece of waxed paper to press the mixture into a 13×9 baking dish. Let it cool completely before cutting and serving.