My parents’ garden usually gives them more zucchini than they know what to do with, which is very fortunate for me because they love to give it away! And I love zucchini! It’s so versatile; you can eat it a million ways: in casseroles, deep fried, with pasta, baked with some parmesan sprinkled over it, or in bread. One of my favorite ways is zucchini cupcakes. This is my mom’s recipe (and the best I’ve had so far). This was the cupcake I requested for my birthday every year as a child – fortunately, I have a fall birthday, so the zucchini was always plentiful! The cupcakes are tender and soft and the cinnamon cream cheese buttercream compliments them perfectly!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour milk
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 c zucchini, shredded
- optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/2 cup nuts, 4 tsp cocoa
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients with a whisk (flour, baking soda, baking salt, salt and cocoa if you want chocolate cake). You can sift them; I almost never do.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, butter, oil, eggs, vanilla, and sour milk.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and continue to mix.
- Add the zucchini and mix until just combined (add nuts and chocolate chips at this point if you wish, I prefer mine without).
- Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Buttercream:
- 8 0z cream cheese (1 package)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar